Sunday, May 22, 2011

The ramblings of a sleep-deprived nursing student.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Compared to some of my other classmates, I don't think I'm as sleep-deprived as the rest of them. I've gotten considerably better with time management, and now I'm just waiting for my books to come in so I can start reading for OB/Peds next semester.

I recently started a thread on allnurses.com to talk about a very negative experience that happened a year and a half ago. Yes, I know, in the end, I have to let it go and view it as a learning experience. It's a bit difficult when it feels like you've fallen flat on your face. I wonder if my previous teachers have ever looked me up on google. I'm...google-able? Searchable is the actual word, but google is my default search bar, and I don't know anyone who uses yahoo or bing (not to imply that no one uses them). For the most part, I've gotten over the experience, but it lingers in the back of my head. The thread has made me feel better about myself, and it's gotten rid of some of my doubt, but I won't know for sure until I get back into the swing for clinical.

I've heard a lot of things about clinical for OB and Peds. I know people who have failed or didn't do as well but I also know people who did extremely well. I hope I fall into the latter because I would much rather work with children if I become a floor nurse. Pregnant women scare me (as a friend from my disaster class said, "That's called birth control."), and the idea of working OB is a bit stereotypical, at least in my head it is. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I know I could be very wrong, but pregnancy scares me mostly because so many things could go wrong not just for the mother, but for the baby/fetus also. I'm hoping my opinion/feeling(s) change(s) -- I don't want to short-change myself because I refused to budge.

No comments:

Post a Comment